Thursday 8 May 2014

TO THE SHIP!

Well thought I'd start with the travel it takes to get to your ship to join. In total I travelled 26 hours to get to the hotel I'm staying at overnight. Then at 0600 in the morning the crew bus picks me n the other Crew up to go to the ship. 
in regards to air travel- less in carry on baggage is best. I use only my headphones, adaptor for the earphones plug and mints and ear plugs- the putty ones are a life saver. In my bag I also have brush,face wipes n mouthwash which I use once I get off plane to freshen up. Otherwise the airline provides water, food and snacks and it's enough. Plus they all have movies etc on long haul flights now. Oh and It's important to stay hydrated! Today I watched the book thief, hunger games catching fire and in her shoes. I slept about four hours the first flight and two the second flight. 
One thing I was torn with boarding the 14 hour flight to LA was aisle or window seat. So window vs aisle?
Window: you get a view going out and coming in. You can use the window as a head rest. You have to jump over or ask your fellow passengers to move if you want to get up/go to toilet or climb over if you are that agile! 
Aisle: Easier access to overhead locker, easier to get up n down as often as you want. Con is you have to move if your fellow passengers want to get out but it's easier from the aisle. I am now an isle seat fan- or the emergency exit seats as they have leg room!! 
Then there was the queues at customs- they are part of air travel and yes taking your shoes off, laptops out of bag and any liquids can be a pain. But just do it. There is no getting out of it and complaining doesn't help anything so stay positive. In the line into LAX today there was a lady whinging about the wait and I said "on the upside by the time we get through this- our bags will define fly be offloaded", she smiled as did other who heard and it eased the tension- simple. I also find being courteous to others helps a lot. 
Vancouver airport is really cool- almost like a museum. I didn't have time for pics but it's awesome!
Just had my complimentary dinner from princess- wow! Portion size people!! I got an oval plate half chips/half burger....I ate 5 chips and half the burger but not the bun, the bun was a weird taste and gleaming with oil land the burger was soaked in it not cooked in it! Then desert was deep fried blueberry muffins- they serve eight about the size of golf balls- I ate 2. I think they thought I didn't enjoy my meal as it did look like a piss poor effort on my behalf but I was full! But I did tip them we'll. Yes, in the us and Canada it is customary to tip- they do pay more attention to service though- I got asked regularly if I need/wanted anything more and I wasn't trying to distract them from their weekend catch up or phone like we get in oz sometimes at restaurants.  
Somehow I scored a king size bed tonight- cool. Pity it's cold and raining here as there is a nice pool outside! 
Free wifi is aiding this process today. once onboard it will be satellite internet for $40.00usd for 360 minutes. It's slow and unreliable but better than nothing when it comes to keeping in touch.
I've now got my feet elevated as I have kankles from such long flights! 
Well I'll leave it there as tomorrow is a big day. 4.30am start. hit the ship- meet my new medical team and get orientated to where stuff is and unpacked then it's clinic time at 4.30pm! And as cruise ships go I'm sure there will be a drink. I do already know some staff on this ship. The dance captain, lighting director and dance team are all off my last ship so familiar faces helps a lot.
Hope you enjoy- any feedback is welcome, cheers Kye ox

No comments:

Post a Comment