Thursday 22 May 2014

Alaska Round One.

So our first cruise of the Alaskan season is almost over and it's had its moments! But overall lovely weather and some amazing wildlife and scenery. First I have seen whales- killer in fact, majestic. Then otters, cute but apparently naughty little critters. We have also seen many a seal and sea lion! Today though (21st may) we were lucky enough to have a tour of the bridge- where the captain and deck officers navigate and control the ship. They hands down have the best view on the ship! And the bridge windows have windscreen wipers just like a cars which was funny to see. Better yet though than seeing the bridge and all the navigational technology...was that we spied a mother killer whale and her calf and watched as we sailed by.....incredible! These are the moments you can't plan and they are just amazing when they surprise you out of the blue. Leaves me smiling and realising how lucky i am to have such a cool and unique job. It's also happened a few times with brilliant sunsets and the recent full moon. To see a full moon shining and the light pouring for the bottom of the moon onto the oceans surface and shining out away from the moon was pure beauty. 
PORTS: My port visits were early in the cruise. I got off in Ketchikan and hit the supermarket and then of course to burger queen for the best burger in the world and a drink with the dancers. Then there was Juneau where we took a cable car ride up the mountain. We went for a small hike as there was plenty of thick snow and had a snow fight! Kylie. 1 Staff Captain 0..(very important guy, third in charge of ship) dares me to hit him....big snow ball...POW right on the top of his head! Gold! Could not have been funnier! It was also the first time ever our senior nurse had seen snow and to say she was happy was an understatement! We then headed down the mountain for lunch at Tracy's crab shack! Amazing huge crab legs and scallops. I have never seen such huge crabs except for deadliest catch maybe?! 
Last call was again Glacier Bay. I spent most of this time in the medical centre as clinic was open and I wanted my team to go up and see this amazing place because none of them have been to Alaska before. so I wanted them all to have the same amazing experience i did. Glacier bay did not fail to disappoint and the glacier, being earlier in the season was larger than last year. It was an overcast day with a crisp icy wind. But the bright blue shone from the glacier. Not to mentions the creaks and moans of the glacier...she almost sings. 
Since then I have been in port manning, so on the ship as nurse in case of emergency. Not to say I haven't been having fun of course. The musicians treated us to a jazz night in the officers wardroom with an amazingly talent saxophone player! Was a great relaxing evening. Since then We have been busy the last few days, doing long hours, drills and disembarks...where sick passengers get sent to a land hospital for further medical care, and I am tonight in the medical centre caring for a PT, drinking a soy latte and updating this blog finally! I plan to hit some tours etc next trip round but I'm not in a hurry this year as I'll be here for four months so plenty of time to fit things in which is awesome! Ok keep reading coz your going to love my next entry! 


No comments:

Post a Comment