Thursday 22 May 2014

STAGE DEBUT?!

Yes, you read correctly. Me, on stage...what?! You ask. Well a funny thing happened in the wardroom ( officers only bar). I was there with the medical team after work chatting and lady marmalade comes on and I say "I love this song to cha cha to". Doc says well why don't you go join in the ballroom lessons they run for the passengers. Now traditionally officers are not allowed in passenger areas without the uniform of the day on. So I was like..nah....Our uniform is not practical for dancing in. The shirts are so short they would come untucked at every turn and the skirts are ugly! Doc then says...if you went in a neat casual outfit with your name badge then I'd be happy. So next day at lunch I head to the cruise staff and ask who does the lessons. S said he'd be happy for me to join in. So that arvo at 2pm I forgo my siesta and head to the dance class. I stay in-cognition, go to the back n join in. Cha cha was the dance for the day! So I'm happily refreshing my memory and mr s is a great dancer and has competed and taught for a long time, so im loving the free tuition and he teaches technique not just steps so I was impressed. I was loving being back on the dance floor. THEN mr s says ok time to partner up and he signals to me to join him on stage.....omg wtf? Yup so up I go. And spend then next 20mins up there demonstrating with him. It was fun and I did love dancing again and it did re-ignite that passion I have for dance. If only I was as fit as I used to be! So today I again forfeited my nap and headed to rhumba, and again up on stage I went. Then an elderly lady of a nationality that is very adept at ballroom dancing sides up to me and says " you are the only one on the floor with rhythm and style and it's a pleasure watching you dance"- Speechless!!! A massive compliment and I never thought I looked that good esp with my current level of fitness as compared to when I danced regularly! So I must still have some skill there lol! The passengers are fun and all are smiling by the end of the class. Yes there are some funny styles and some interesting timing but they are having fun and enjoying their cruise so I'm happy to help out. Omg even if it is on stage in front of the passengers! My biggest fear is of course falling off the stage...explain THAT to my collegues! 
I am truly enjoying being back on the dance floor in a proper setting. Tomorrow is slow foxtrot....but I'm up all night so we will see. But for now I'm glad I have braved the passengers and hit the dance floor...might even ask mr s for some private lessons! We will see....happy dancing, 

No comments:

Post a Comment